Here is a list of important questions to make sure you get an answer to before moving in. Have your Realtor communicate with the seller, before you make the big move.
1. Do you have any information about the repair history of the house
2. Do you have any warranty paperwork and owners manuals for anything that is staying with the house
3. Do you have paint colors available so that they can be matched for touch ups etc.
4. Do you have the phone numbers for any contractors you have used for repairs and landscaping on the house. You may want a contractor that is familiar with the house or perhaps you like the way the lawn looks and would like to keep the landscaping service
5. Where are the best restaurants, dry cleaners, daycare centers etc. located
6. Is there a neighborhood watch program and how do you get in touch with the organizer
7. Is there a Homeowners Association and where is the clubhouse – if applicable
8. What are the trash days and what are the requirements. Is there a trash bag limit and what do you do with bulk items
9. What is the history of the house. Things that are not disclosed on the disclosure form – such as an interesting story, the prior uses of the house, do they have a set maintenance schedule in place. Is there anything that works but is a bit quirky when operating it. This could save you hundreds of dollars in unnecessary repairs when you find out something works but is just a bit quirky
10. Don’t forget to leave the garage door openers
11. Where are the emergency cut offs, the breaker box and utility meters and any tools needed to use them. What about that wrench that is needed to operate the fireplace – is it available
12. Don’t forget to ask about the sprinkler system, landscape lighting, septic tank, basement pumps, pool pumps, well pumps, hot tubs operating systems. All of these items may be things you know how to operate or possibly not. So it is best to ask.
Thanks for Reading,
The Inman Team