Here is a step by step guide to help you in your home buying journey
1. Talk to an experienced Realtor who will help you learn what you need to know about the home buying process. You may need to interview several Realtors before deciding on the best one for you.
2. Decide if you want to Rent or Buy
3. Check your credit and begin improving your credit score. Check out our blog from yesterday on the importance of your credit score & tips on how to improve it.
4. Make a budget and determine exactly how much you can afford to spend on your new home. Don’t forget that there will be closing costs and other associated fees in addition to the purchase price of your new home.
5. Study the different types of mortgages and how they work and then decide which one is right for you
6. Think about where you want to live. What location is best for you and your family
7. Do you want to buy a conventional home, a foreclosure, a fixer-upper etc.
8. You will also need to decide on a mortgage company, home inspector and possibly a real estate attorney or a financial adviser depending on your situation
9. Research the area you have decided to buy a home. Drive through the neighborhood at varying hours, check the current prices of the available homes and notate their condition.
10. Check the crime statistics for that neighborhood
11. Does the neighborhood have the conveniences you are going to need, such as child care,your bank, your favorite grocery stores and restaurants etc.
12. How far is your chosen area from where you work now and where you may potentially be working in the future?
13. Talk to your chosen realtor about supplying you with some home listings that meet your specified criteria
14. Once you have looked through the home listings, go and look at all the homes you would like to see with your Realtor
15. After you have chosen a house, your realtor will help you submit an offer
16. Be prepared to negotiate the deal
17. After your offer has been approved, you will need to set up a home inspection
18. You will now need to get your mortgage loan approved
19. Set a closing date and then close on your new home
20. Now all you have to do is get moved and enjoy the home of your dreams