Building a new construction home can be very exciting. But there are so many upgrades to choose from. And some of those upgrades are very expensive. So how do you decide which options are practical and which options you should pass on.
The best way to decide which upgrades to say yes to and which ones you should say no to is to think about how it will affect the resale value of your home should you decide to sell in the future. Ask yourself “will this upgrade add to the value of my home in the future?” If the answer is yes, then go for it!
But the resale money is not the only thing that is important when making decisions about which upgrades to choose. Aside from adding value to your home, you should ask yourself what are the most important things to you and your family. Where do you spend all of your time.
Do you need a large family room or does each family member prefer their own spaces. Do you spend a lot of time in the kitchen?
Here are a few things that may help you decide which upgrades to choose.
• You’ll never go wrong when opting for the upgraded kitchen cabinets. Consider selecting the custom cabinets. They are better built, have better finishes and will last longer. Additionally, opt for the taller uppers. You know, the ones that go all the way to the ceiling. This will give you that much needed extra storage space that you will definitely need the longer you have lived in your house
• Opt for premium hinges and drawer slides as well. Your kitchen cabinets will take a lot of abuse over the years and it is very expensive if you have to replace your cabinets only after a few years
• Choose the top quality carpet. It will hold up better in the high traffic areas and keep you from having to replace it sooner than you would have if you had gone with the cheapest carpet. Generally the more quality the carpet is – the easier it is to get clean when dirt and spills occur
• The same goes for your carpet padding. A thicker, better quality pad will increase the life of your carpet
• Wood or ceramic tile flooring is always considered a good upgrade. It is durable, practical and will never go out of style. Most people prefer wood or ceramic tile flooring to carpet for those very reasons
• Ceiling fans and light fixtures. An upgraded ceiling fan and light fixture package will not only add some energy efficiency to your home but it will also add a more quality look as well. Nothing spells cheap more than seeing cheap ceiling fans and light fixtures and they are not that expensive of an upgrade
• Add some skylights. This is especially important if your new homes floorplan does not allow for much natural lighting. Natural lighting will give your home that light, bright feeling and will help save on your energy costs as well.
The most important thing is to make sure that you choose the upgrades that are the most important to you. If you have the things you want the most, you will more than likely remain happy with your new home choice for years to come.