RPV Eastview Newsletter

In case you missed this month’s Rancho Palos Verdes Eastview Newsletter, see it here!



In 1827, Don Dolores Sepulveda received an original land grant to Rancho de los Palos Verdes that supported several thousand heads of cattle and flourishing hacienda. Rancho Palos Verdes literally means “Ranch of Green Sticks” but some say it takes its name from Canada de Palos Verdes, or “Canyon of green trees” and RPV was originally inhabited by the Gabbrielino-Tongva Tribe. [1]

Then, for a brief period of time in the early 1900’s, the Peninsula enjoyed prosperity as a cattle ranch and rich farming area. During this time, 2,000 head of cattle roamed the open areas. Japanese families farmed the moist southern slopes with fields of beans, peas and tomatoes, while the manager of the cattle ranch farmed the dryer northern slopes with barley for hay and grain.2

In 1913, the found father of the Peninsula, Frank Vanderlip, bought the 16,000-acre Palos Verdes Peninsula and embarked on a grand vision to develop the “Palos Verdes Project” into the most fashionable and exclusive residential colony in the nation. The first homes in Rancho Palos Verdes appeared in the region in 1924, two years before the historic Point Vicente Lighthouse was built in RPV. 3

1″Terranea History.” Rancho Palos Verdes Resorts. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Oct. 2014.
2 “Rancho Palos Verdes – The Birth of a City.” PalosVerdes.com. City of RPV, n.d. Web. 15 Oct. 2014.
3 “Terranea History.” Rancho Palos Verdes Resorts. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Oct. 2014.